Monday, March 9, 2009

Apples & Apples

The apples here are out of sight, man. Ditto the grapes. I've tried a number of local fruits that are unheard of (at least by me) in the States. For example, the jaboticaba, pinha, and pitomba. Eating each of these fruits requires a large amount of work for a relatively small amount of meat. The pulp clings heartily to the seeds. Locals can strip a seed with pirana-speed. I usually spit my seeds after minutes of noshing, most of the sweet fruit still clinging to the black stone. 

The apples and grapes, though, they beat anything Whole Foods ever sold me in Boston. I'm not an expert on apples, but I believe the ones we bought were somehow related to the Cripps Pink. They were considerably smaller and more compact than your average North American apple, and consequently pack a lot of flavor. Can't say much about the grapes other than they were green, contained seeds, and utterly delicious. 

I would write more, but I'm afraid I've used up my wikipedia link allowance for the day. Sorry. 


No comments:

Post a Comment